Hampton Community Library has host of events, programs scheduled
Wednesday, February 12, 2020 | 12:01 AM
Hampton Community Library has a full schedule of activities. For details or to register for any of the programs, call the library at 412-684-1098 or visit hampton communitylibrary.org.
• Murder by the Book: A Mystery Book Club, meets Feb. 19, at 6:30 p.m. “The Clockmaker’s Daughter” by Kate Morton will be discussed. Books are available at the library. Make new friends, discover new authors, and get a clue.
• Betty’s Book Buzz meets on Feb. 20, at 1 p.m. Join Betty as she gives her opinions (good and bad) about “Rose” by Martin Cruz Smith. Copies of the book are available at the library. Make new friends, meet new books.
• Cooks-n-Books: Sinfully Chocolate, meets on Feb. 27, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. This is a cookbook and food discussion group for people who love to cook and make new friends. Find a recipe from one of your favorite authors, cook that dish and bring it to the group on the evening of discussion. Bring a copy of your recipe as well. Sample all the recipes. The group meets in Great Room B of the Hampton Community Center. There is a $2 fee to cover the cost of supplies.
• Chess Tournament sponsored by Pittsburgh Chess Club will be at 10 a.m. March 7. In-person preregistration at the library is required because the application requires a signature by the participant. Space is limited. Competition is divided into two divisions: grades K-4 and 5-8.
• The Eighth Annual Trivia Night will be March 20. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.; trivia begins at 7. Assemble your team and get ready for a night of laughter and friendly competition. The cost is $20 per person (6-10 people/table). Test your general trivia knowledge. This is an adult program (BYOB). Space is limited. Registration is required.
• News & Views is back on Fridays, from 1 to 3 p.m., Feb. 14 through March 27. Local author and journalist Gerry K. Smith is back to lead this discussion group. Nothing is off limits with this group of diverse and lively adults. This program is free to all. Join in the conversation or just visit. The group meets in the Adult Lounge of the Hampton Community Center.
• Rainbow Letters Stay-n-Play is available on Tuesdays through March 31, from 10:30-11:15 a.m.; and Wednesdays through April 1, from 10:45-11:30 a.m. Cut, glue, pinch, tear, and clip your way through the alphabet. All ages welcome. No registration required.
• Parachute Dance Party Tuesdays are available through March 31, from 11:30 a.m. to noon; and Wednesdays through April 1, from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Stretch, shake and sing with fun music and songs, then calm down with yoga, giggles and bubbles. All ages welcome. No registration required.
• Count, Sort and Match Tuesdays will be held through March 31, from 2:15 to 2:45 p.m.; and Wednesdays through April 1, from 9:45 to 10:15 a.m. Bop over to the library for a story, then investigate numbers, patterns and fun through guided play. All ages welcome. No registration required.
• Clap Your Hands Storytime is offered Wednesdays through April 1, from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. Your kids will have fun with rhymes, songs and storytelling while enhancing their language development and a love of reading. This program is designed for 3-5 year olds but all ages are welcome. No registration required.
• Inspiration Inc. is held Fridays through April 3, from 11 to 11:30 a.m. Turn on your creativity using a variety of art materials and techniques to make something special. This is an adult-child activity; active participation is expected. Space is limited; first come first served. Ages 4-6 years old with an adult. Registration is preferred.
• Fun Food Stories is on Fridays through April 3, from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Bring your lunch or snack to enjoy during this short storytime. All ages welcome. No registration required.